Roofing discussions and local services.
Struggling with installing hip and ridge shingles - any tips?
- Totally agree on not rushing in the cold - did that once and those shingles just cracked like potato chips.
- I’m always skeptical about the heat gun trick... seems like more risk than reward, especially if you’re not super careful.
- Storing bundles inside overnight is a good call, but I’ve also wrapped them in old blankets to keep the chill off - maybe it’s overkill, but seemed to help a bit.
- Honestly, I just wait for a warmer day if I can. Replacing blown-off ridge caps later costs way more than a short delay.
- Noticed some brands are stiffer than others in the cold too - might be worth checking before you buy if you’re stuck working in winter.
Honestly, I just wait for a warmer day if I can. Replacing blown-off ridge caps later costs way more than a short delay.
Couldn’t agree more - seen too many quick winter jobs come back to haunt folks after the first big wind. I’ve also noticed some brands just don’t flex at all in the cold, even after bringing them inside. Had one batch that felt like bending a deck of cards - snapped right in half. Personally, I’ll use the blanket trick too, but if it’s below freezing, I’d rather tarp and wait. The risk just isn’t worth it sometimes.
Funny you mention the “deck of cards” thing - I had something similar happen last winter with some off-brand shingles my boss picked up on sale. Even after sitting them inside the cab for half a day, they still snapped like potato chips. Tried to bend one over the ridge and it just split down the middle... felt pretty dumb standing there with two halves in my hands.
I’ve used the blanket trick too, and it helps a bit if it’s just chilly, but once it dips below freezing, I’m with you - better to tarp and call it a day. Not worth fighting with brittle shingles and risking them popping off after the first windstorm. Plus, fixing blown ridge caps in February isn’t my idea of fun.
Guess if you’re stuck and really have to do it, maybe go slow and keep each shingle warm right before you nail it down, but honestly, patience seems cheaper in the long run. Learned that one the hard way.
Not worth fighting with brittle shingles and risking them popping off after the first windstorm. Plus, fixing blown ridge caps in February isn’t my idea of fun.
That brings back memories... I once tried to push through a cold snap to finish a small hip roof, thinking I could outsmart the weather. Ended up with half the ridge caps cracked and had to redo them come spring anyway. Since then, I always tell folks - if your shingles feel like crackers, just tarp it and wait. Even the best install can’t beat physics when it’s freezing. Sometimes stubbornness costs more than a delay.
- Totally get the urge to just get it done, but yeah, fighting with cold shingles is a losing battle.
- I tried patching a spot last winter - regretted it when half of them snapped.
- Waiting feels like defeat, but honestly, less hassle (and money) in the long run.
- Sometimes patience is the real shortcut... even if it’s annoying.