Roofing discussions and local services.
how long should we honor price quotes?
Budgeting’s tough enough without worrying about prices jumping mid-project.
I hear you, but locking in a price isn’t always as clear-cut as it sounds. Materials can spike or drop overnight - especially lately. Around here, most reputable contractors honor quotes for 30 days, sometimes 60 if you’re lucky. Anything longer and they’re probably building in a cushion anyway. Ever tried getting a fixed quote during storm season? That’s when things get wild... I’d say, get it in writing and check if there’s a clause for material changes. Otherwise, you might be paying for “peace of mind” that’s not actually guaranteed.
I’ve run into this a few times, especially with bigger projects like siding or roof replacements. Last year, I got a quote for composite shingles and by the time I’d lined up financing (about six weeks later), the supplier had bumped their prices by almost 15%. The contractor stuck to the original number, but only because we’d both signed off on a clause that split any material increases 50/50 if it happened before delivery. Not ideal, but better than eating the whole cost myself.
I get why contractors can’t lock in prices forever - lumber and asphalt have been all over the place lately. Still, I wonder if anyone’s had luck negotiating a longer hold period by putting down a bigger deposit? Or maybe there’s a way to hedge against price swings, like pre-purchasing materials? Curious if that’s worked for anyone, or if it just complicates things more than it helps.
I’ve tried the bigger deposit angle before - sometimes it helps, but not always. A couple contractors were willing to hold a price for 60 days if I put down 25%, but most said their suppliers wouldn’t actually guarantee material costs that long. Pre-purchasing works if you’ve got storage space and everything’s finalized, but it can get messy if plans change or something’s backordered. Honestly, I still think the split-cost clause is one of the fairest ways to handle it, even if it stings a little.
I hear you on the split-cost clause - definitely feels fairer than just eating all the price hikes yourself. I’ve seen a few folks get burned trying to pre-purchase, especially after a storm when timelines shift and materials end up sitting around. Ever had a supplier actually stick to their quote for more than 30 days lately? Around here, even 2 weeks is pushing it.
Ever had a supplier actually stick to their quote for more than 30 days lately? Around here, even 2 weeks is pushing it.
Haven’t seen a 30-day price hold in ages - last time I tried locking something in for a month, the supplier called me after ten days and said their costs jumped. Ended up renegotiating halfway through the job. Honestly, I don’t blame them with how fast prices swing, but it makes planning a headache. I’d rather pay a little more upfront for some wiggle room than scramble when the numbers change mid-project.