Roofing discussions and local services.

how long should we honor price quotes?

675 replies
 

Join the conversation

Share your experience or ask a follow-up question.

amartinez78

I get where you’re coming from - nothing worse than a “surprise” price hike after you’ve already planned everything out. But I’ve also seen it from the other side, where material costs suddenly jump and the contractor’s stuck eating the difference. Personally, I think a 30-day window is fair, but if delays are on their end, that’s on them. Had a roofer try to blame a rain delay on me once... nice try, buddy. Just wish more folks would lay it all out upfront so there’s no drama.


Reply
joshua_young

Just wish more folks would lay it all out upfront so there’s no drama.

Totally agree - honesty up front would save everyone a headache. I’ve seen price quotes get messy when the job drags out, but I’m with you, if the delay is on the contractor, they should eat that cost. The 30-day window makes sense, but what about when materials spike like 10% overnight? Not saying it happens every week, but I watched a supplier bump shingle prices twice in one month last year. No way to predict that.

I’m curious, do most folks here actually read the fine print on quotes? Some contracts have built-in clauses for material hikes, and others don’t mention it at all. Seems like a lot of trouble could be avoided if both sides just spelled out what happens if prices change or weather hits. Had a customer blame me for a two-week rain delay once - like I control the clouds...

How do you all handle it when the weather really does push things back? Do you expect the price to stay the same even if it’s months later?


Reply

If I’m being honest, I don’t think it’s fair for homeowners to just eat the extra cost every time there’s a delay, especially if it’s out of our hands. I get that materials can spike, but if I sign a contract for a certain price, that’s what I budgeted for. Last year, my siding job got pushed back because of rain, and the contractor tried to tack on an extra $800 “due to market changes.” Didn’t fly with me. If weather delays are common in your area, build that into the timeline or be upfront about possible price changes - don’t spring it on folks after the fact. Otherwise, how are we supposed to plan?


Reply
anime_hunter

If weather delays are common in your area, build that into the timeline or be upfront about possible price changes - don’t spring it on folks after the fact.

Couldn’t agree more. Where I live, rain delays are just part of life - if contractors aren’t planning for that, it’s on them, not us. I get that material prices can jump, but if I’ve got a signed contract, I expect that number to stick unless there’s some wild, unforeseen event (like a hurricane wipes out the lumber yard or something). Otherwise, what’s the point of a contract?

Had a similar thing happen with my deck last year. The guy tried to add $500 for “lumber increases” after a two-week delay. I pulled up our contract and pointed out there was no clause about price changes. He backed down pretty quick. Not everyone’s comfortable pushing back, though, which is why clear terms matter.

If contractors want to protect themselves, they should spell out exactly how long a quote is valid and under what conditions it might change. Surprises are for birthdays, not home projects...


Reply

I’m right there with you on the “surprises are for birthdays” thing. I’ve had my fair share of home project curveballs, and it’s always the budget that takes the hit. Last year, I got a quote for a new fence - nothing fancy, just basic cedar. The contractor said the price was good for 30 days, which seemed reasonable. But then we had a stretch of rain that pushed everything back, and suddenly he wanted to “revisit” the numbers. I pulled out the original paperwork (I keep everything, probably to an annoying degree) and pointed out the 30-day clause. He grumbled but stuck to it.

I get that prices can change, especially with how wild lumber costs have been lately, but if there’s a timeline on the quote, that’s what I expect. If it’s not spelled out, I’m not paying extra just because the weather didn’t cooperate. I’m not running a lumber futures market over here.

That said, I do think it’s fair for contractors to protect themselves if there’s a legit, unpredictable spike in costs. But that needs to be in writing, not just a “hey, prices went up, sorry” text after the fact. I’ve seen contracts with escalation clauses tied to specific indexes or supplier quotes, and while it’s a bit more paperwork, at least everyone knows what to expect.

Honestly, I’d rather have a slightly higher quote that’s locked in than a “too good to be true” number that’s going to balloon later. At least then I can plan for it and not have to raid the emergency fund because someone didn’t factor in a rainy week.

Bottom line, if you’re signing a contract, read every line and don’t be afraid to ask what happens if there’s a delay or price jump. It’s awkward, but way less awkward than arguing over an invoice later.


Reply
patriciajones649

I’ve seen this play out so many times - people think a quote is set in stone, then get blindsided by “updated” numbers. If it’s in writing with a clear expiration, that’s the deal. Weather delays are part of the job, not an excuse to change terms after the fact. I always tell folks: if there’s any wiggle room, it needs to be spelled out up front, not tacked on later. Escalation clauses make sense, but only if everyone knows what triggers them. Otherwise, you’re just asking for headaches and trust issues.


Reply
sandraw19

Yeah, I get what you’re saying. I usually put a 30-day window on my quotes, but if it’s a big job or materials are going crazy, I’ll mention that up front. Weather delays are just part of roofing - can’t blame the sky for price hikes later.


Reply

I usually recommend putting a clear expiration date on quotes, too - 30 days is pretty standard in my area. But I’ve seen some contractors get burned when material prices spike overnight, especially with stuff like plywood or underlayment. If you’re dealing with a big project or something that’s going to drag into the next season, it helps to spell out in writing how price changes will be handled. I’ve had clients surprised by “escalation clauses,” but honestly, it’s better than eating unexpected costs. Weather delays are tricky - sometimes you just have to roll with it, but I always note in my reports if a job’s been sitting open for weeks. That can affect warranties and inspections down the line.


Reply
aspen_lewis

I get the logic behind putting a 30-day expiration on quotes, but honestly, I’ve seen that backfire too. Sometimes, by the time a client decides, prices have actually dropped - especially off-season or if a supplier runs a promo. Then you’re stuck explaining why their quote is higher than what they just saw at the store. It’s awkward.

About escalation clauses, I get why folks use them, but I’ve had a couple homeowners get really put off by the fine print. One guy told me he felt like he was signing up for a “blank check.” I think there’s a balance. Maybe instead of a blanket clause, just specify which materials are volatile and could change. That way, it doesn’t feel like you’re trying to sneak something in.

“Weather delays are tricky - sometimes you just have to roll with it, but I always note in my reports if a job’s been sitting open for weeks.”

That’s smart, but sometimes the paperwork gets lost in the shuffle. I’ve seen jobs where nobody really knew how long stuff sat exposed, and then everyone’s pointing fingers when there’s a leak later. Maybe more transparency up front would save headaches for both sides.


Reply
aspenrunner

- I get the frustration with quotes expiring, but honestly, I think having a set window protects both sides. Prices can drop, sure, but they can spike too - especially lately with supply chain stuff.
- On escalation clauses, I’ve seen folks get nervous, but if you spell out *which* materials might change, it’s usually less scary. Blanket language just freaks people out.
- About paperwork and weather delays - totally agree it gets messy. I’ve started snapping photos with timestamps when I’m on site. Not perfect, but at least there’s some record if things go sideways later.


Reply
fishing856

- I get why folks want a set window for quotes, but sometimes I wonder if it’s too rigid. Had a contractor hold my price for 60 days last year, even though lumber dropped a ton after week three. Felt like I was paying extra for “just in case” and not really getting the benefit when things went my way.

- Escalation clauses... yeah, those make me nervous too. But honestly, even when they list out materials, it’s still a gamble. What if the “specified” stuff is half the job and the rest is just as likely to jump in price? Maybe there’s a middle ground - like a cap on how much prices can go up, or at least some transparency on what triggers a change.

- For weather delays, I’ve tried the timestamp photo thing too. It helps, but sometimes it’s just my word against theirs if we disagree about what counts as “workable.” Wish there was a better way to track actual progress, not just weather.

- Anyone else feel like these systems protect the contractor more than the homeowner? Or am I just being paranoid after a few rough experiences...


Reply
melissa_martinez

I get what you’re saying about the quote windows feeling a bit one-sided. I’ve run into that too - locked in a price for a deck build, then watched lumber prices tank while my contract stayed the same. It’s like you’re paying for the risk, but only on their terms. I get that contractors need some protection from wild swings, but it does sting when the market moves in your favor and there’s no flexibility.

Escalation clauses are tricky. I had one contractor break down materials line by line, but then “miscellaneous fasteners” or “other supplies” were just lump sums. If those go up, you’re still on the hook. I tried negotiating a cap - like, if prices jump more than 10% from the quote, we split the difference. Not every contractor goes for it, but a couple were willing to talk it through. At least then you’re not totally exposed.

Weather delays are another headache. I started using a shared Google Drive folder for daily photos and notes - just quick phone shots of progress, plus screenshots from weather apps. It’s not perfect, but it gives both sides a record. Still, “workable” is subjective... Had a guy claim he couldn’t pour concrete because of humidity, but it was sunny and dry by noon. Hard to argue unless you’re on site all day.

Honestly, I do think most of these systems lean toward protecting the contractor. Not saying it’s all bad - they’re running a business and can’t eat every loss - but as a homeowner, you end up carrying more risk than you’d expect. After a couple rough projects, I started building in more specifics: what counts as a delay, how price changes are handled, even penalties for missed deadlines (within reason). It’s more paperwork up front, but it’s saved me headaches later.

If you’ve had bad experiences, you’re not alone. The best luck I’ve had is with folks who are open to hashing out the details before signing anything. Not everyone wants to bother with that level of detail, but for bigger jobs it’s worth it.


Reply

I hear you on the contracts feeling lopsided. I’ve had a green roof install where the quote was “good for 30 days,” but by the time permits cleared, prices had shifted and suddenly I was eating the difference. It’s wild how fast materials can swing, especially with eco-friendly stuff - one week sedum mats are reasonable, next week they’re gold-plated. I started pushing for clauses that lock in price unless there’s a legit, documented spike. Not every contractor loves it, but if they want my business, they’ll at least talk. Otherwise, you’re just rolling the dice every time.


Reply
gingers49

I started pushing for clauses that lock in price unless there’s a legit, documented spike.

- Totally get what you mean about feeling like you’re “rolling the dice every time.”
- I’ve had similar headaches - one project, the price of drainage layers jumped 20% between quote and install. No warning, just a new invoice.
- Locking in price unless there’s a “legit, documented spike” is smart. Not every contractor is into it, but honestly, if they want the job, they should be willing to meet halfway.
- Permits dragging things out is a killer. Sometimes I’ll ask for a clause that extends the quote period if delays are out of my hands (like city red tape). Not always a win, but worth a shot.
- Eco-friendly materials are a wild card - sedum, recycled membranes, all of it. One week it’s affordable, next week it’s like buying rare art.
- I’d rather have an awkward contract talk up front than get stuck with surprise costs later.
- Contractors who are transparent about supply issues earn my repeat business, no question.
- At the end of the day, both sides need some protection from the market rollercoaster... just wish it didn’t always fall on the homeowner to push for it.


Reply

Had a similar run-in last year - got a quote for some reclaimed pavers, then by the time permits cleared, the supplier wanted 15% more. I get that prices move, but if I’m signing paperwork, I want at least a fighting chance at the number I budgeted for. I’ve started asking for a 60-day lock unless there’s a legit, documented spike (like you said). Some contractors push back, but honestly, if they’re not willing to be upfront, I’d rather keep looking. The awkward money talk up front is way less painful than a surprise invoice halfway through.


Reply

That 15% jump stings, especially when you’re already knee-deep in paperwork and city red tape. I’ve run into the same thing with green roof membrane suppliers - one week it’s “here’s your quote,” next week it’s “oh, by the way, materials are up because of a moss shortage in Latvia.” Not exactly confidence-inspiring.

I’m with you on the 60-day lock. If a contractor can’t commit to that unless there’s a real, documented spike (like, actual proof - not just “my cousin heard rubber’s going up”), I start getting suspicious. I get that supply chains are wild these days, but if they want your business, they should be able to put something in writing for a reasonable window.

One thing I’ve started doing is asking for a clause that ties price changes to a specific index or published rate. That way, if there’s a legit market jump, it’s transparent. Otherwise, it’s just “surprise, you owe more.” And yeah, hashing out the awkward money stuff up front is way less painful than fighting over invoices later.


Reply

I get wanting a 60-day lock, but is that always realistic with how fast prices jump lately? I tried to hold a quote for new windows last fall, and by the time I got city approval, the supplier said their costs had changed twice. I pushed back, but honestly, I could see their invoices - stuff really had gone up. I like the idea of tying it to an index, but sometimes it just feels like you’re stuck either way. Does anyone actually get contractors to honor those clauses, or do they just walk if you push too hard?


Reply
patricia_scott

I hear you on this. I tried to get a 45-day lock on some siding last summer, and by week three the supplier already wanted to bump the price. I pushed back, but honestly, they showed me the new manufacturer price sheet - couldn’t really argue. It’s just nuts how fast stuff changes right now.

I’ve had mixed luck with contractors honoring their quotes. The bigger companies sometimes stick to it if you sign quick, but most smaller outfits just won’t eat those increases. I tried putting an escalation clause in once (something tied to the lumber index), but when prices spiked, the contractor just said he’d rather walk than risk losing money. Didn’t really blame him.

At this point, I mostly just ask how long their quote is good for and try to move as fast as possible. If city permits or HOA stuff drags things out, I almost expect the price will shift. Not ideal, but seems like that’s just how it goes lately...


Reply

I get why you expect quotes to shift, but I think there are ways to lock things in a bit more if you’re willing to get technical. I’ve had luck with detailed contracts that specify exactly which materials and brands are included, plus a line-by-line price breakdown. If the supplier’s price hikes, at least you can see what’s actually changed and push back on anything that feels padded. It’s a bit more work upfront, but sometimes it gives you leverage if things drag out with permits or HOAs... Not foolproof, but better than just crossing your fingers.


Reply
geek_kathy

That’s spot on - having everything spelled out in the contract helps a ton. I’ve had projects where delays with city permits dragged things out for months, and without clear pricing on materials, it got messy fast. Like you said,

“at least you can see what’s actually changed and push back on anything that feels padded.”
It’s not a guarantee, but it definitely gives you more control when prices start shifting mid-project. I usually try to get suppliers to agree to a 30- or 60-day window for quotes, just to keep everyone honest.


Reply
Scroll to Top