<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>        <rss version="2.0"
             xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"
             xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
             xmlns:sy="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/syndication/"
             xmlns:admin="http://webns.net/mvcb/"
             xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
             xmlns:content="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/">
        <channel>
            <title>
									Coastal Roofing (Salt Air &amp; Sea-Weather) - Roofing Discussions Forum				            </title>
            <link>https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/</link>
            <description>Roofing Discussions Discussion Board</description>
            <language>en-US</language>
            <lastBuildDate>Fri, 02 Oct 2026 07:00:40 +0000</lastBuildDate>
            <generator>wpForo</generator>
            <ttl>60</ttl>
							                    <item>
                        <title>Is This Salt Residue or Corrosion in My Roof Flashing?</title>
                        <link>https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/is-this-salt-residue-or-corrosion-in-my-roof-flashing/</link>
                        <pubDate>Tue, 29 Sep 2026 19:18:01 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[I’m trying to determine whether the white crust and dark pitting on coastal roof flashing are mostly surface salt deposits or signs that the metal is failing.

The flashing is approximately ...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[I’m trying to determine whether the white crust and dark pitting on coastal roof flashing are mostly surface salt deposits or signs that the metal is failing.

The flashing is approximately 8 years old, but I’m not sure whether it’s aluminum, galvanized steel, or another alloy. The affected areas are around the chimney and a wall-to-roof junction on the ocean-facing side. There’s also some discoloration below one joint, although I haven’t found damp sheathing or interior staining. The roof was exposed to a strong recent storm, and a nearby section has stainless fasteners while the flashing may be galvanized.

- Does white crust usually clean off as salt residue, or can it accompany galvanic corrosion?
- How much pitting or joint movement is enough to justify replacing the flashing rather than cleaning and monitoring it?
- Could the staining below the joint indicate an active leak even if the attic is currently dry?
- What’s the safest way to identify the flashing metal and inspect the joint without damaging the roof covering?

I’m mainly trying to separate a maintenance issue from a repair that needs a roofer or more detailed inspection.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/">Coastal Roofing (Salt Air &amp; Sea-Weather)</category>                        <dc:creator>julieperez97</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/is-this-salt-residue-or-corrosion-in-my-roof-flashing/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Keeping rust at bay when you&#039;re near the ocean</title>
                        <link>https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/keeping-rust-at-bay-when-youre-near-the-ocean/</link>
                        <pubDate>Sat, 12 Jul 2025 14:53:28 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Moved to a coastal area recently, and man, I love the view and the fresh air, but I&#039;m quickly learning that salt spray is no joke. My bike, tools, even some patio furniture started showing r...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Moved to a coastal area recently, and man, I love the view and the fresh air, but I'm quickly learning that salt spray is no joke. My bike, tools, even some patio furniture started showing rust spots way faster than I expected. Did a bit of digging around online and chatting with neighbors who've been here longer, and found a pretty handy trick that's been working well so far.

Basically, I've started wiping down metal surfaces with WD-40 or silicone spray every couple weeks. Seems simple enough, but it's made a noticeable difference already. Also heard from one neighbor who swears by waxing metal surfaces (like car wax) to create a protective barrier - haven't tried that yet myself but might give it a go soon.

Another thing I learned the hard way: rinsing stuff off regularly with fresh water helps more than you'd think. Salt buildup is sneaky - you don't really notice it until rust starts popping up everywhere. Now I just hose down my bike and outdoor gear every few days if it's been windy or stormy.

Curious if anyone else has tips or tricks they've picked up living near saltwater. Maybe something homemade or unconventional? Always open to new ideas since I'm still figuring this out as I go along...]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/">Coastal Roofing (Salt Air &amp; Sea-Weather)</category>                        <dc:creator>photography542</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/keeping-rust-at-bay-when-youre-near-the-ocean/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>would your roof survive a cat 5 storm?</title>
                        <link>https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/would-your-roof-survive-a-cat-5-storm/</link>
                        <pubDate>Sun, 06 Apr 2025 18:42:24 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Been thinking lately, you know, with all these hurricanes getting stronger and more frequent, what if a category 5 storm rolled through my neighborhood tomorrow? Honestly, I&#039;m not even sure ...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Been thinking lately, you know, with all these hurricanes getting stronger and more frequent, what if a category 5 storm rolled through my neighborhood tomorrow? Honestly, I'm not even sure my roof would hold up. I mean, it's not ancient or anything, but it's definitely not one of those super reinforced ones either. Curious how prepared everyone else feels about their roofs - would yours make it through something that intense, or would you be scrambling for tarps and buckets afterward?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/">Coastal Roofing (Salt Air &amp; Sea-Weather)</category>                        <dc:creator>travel_diesel</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/would-your-roof-survive-a-cat-5-storm/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>finally found the perfect paint shades for salty sea air</title>
                        <link>https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/finally-found-the-perfect-paint-shades-for-salty-sea-air/</link>
                        <pubDate>Sat, 05 Apr 2025 17:45:34 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Spent ages repainting our little beach cottage because the last colors faded and peeled way faster than expected. Did some digging around, talked to a few locals, and ended up going with sof...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Spent ages repainting our little beach cottage because the last colors faded and peeled way faster than expected. Did some digging around, talked to a few locals, and ended up going with softer pastel shades (muted blues and greens mostly) in marine-grade paint. It's been almost a year now, and the colors still look fresh and vibrant - even after storms and salty winds. Curious if anyone else had similar luck with certain colors or brands...]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/">Coastal Roofing (Salt Air &amp; Sea-Weather)</category>                        <dc:creator>meganr50</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/finally-found-the-perfect-paint-shades-for-salty-sea-air/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>metal roofs near the ocean - rust or trust?</title>
                        <link>https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/metal-roofs-near-the-ocean-rust-or-trust/</link>
                        <pubDate>Sat, 05 Apr 2025 14:31:37 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Was chatting with a neighbor yesterday who just moved in down the street, and he mentioned that metal roofs near saltwater can actually last way longer than regular shingles if you pick the ...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Was chatting with a neighbor yesterday who just moved in down the street, and he mentioned that metal roofs near saltwater can actually last way longer than regular shingles if you pick the right materials. Got me curious, so I did some digging around online. Turns out aluminum and galvanized steel are popular choices because they resist corrosion better than other metals. But here's something interesting I found: copper roofing, even though it's pricey, develops this greenish patina over time that's not only protective but also looks pretty cool (think Statue of Liberty vibes). 

But then again, I've seen some roofs around here that didn't age too gracefully...rust patches and all. Seems like proper coating and maintenance is key. I'm no expert though, just thought it was kinda neat how different metals react differently to ocean air.

Wonder if anyone else here has experience with metal roofs close to the beach? Curious if there's more to it than just picking the right metal type...]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/">Coastal Roofing (Salt Air &amp; Sea-Weather)</category>                        <dc:creator>amandaclark883</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/metal-roofs-near-the-ocean-rust-or-trust/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>choosing the right screws for outdoor projects</title>
                        <link>https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/choosing-the-right-screws-for-outdoor-projects/</link>
                        <pubDate>Fri, 04 Apr 2025 19:15:38 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[I&#039;m building a wooden deck in my backyard and I&#039;m stuck deciding between galvanized screws or stainless steel ones. Galvanized seem cheaper, but stainless might last longer... um, anyone hav...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[I'm building a wooden deck in my backyard and I'm stuck deciding between galvanized screws or stainless steel ones. Galvanized seem cheaper, but stainless might last longer... um, anyone have experience with either type?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/">Coastal Roofing (Salt Air &amp; Sea-Weather)</category>                        <dc:creator>sgonzalez49</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://www.roofingdiscussions.com/community/coastal-roofing-salt-air-sea-weather/choosing-the-right-screws-for-outdoor-projects/</guid>
                    </item>
							        </channel>
        </rss>
		